Lawrence Meril, CPA
Lawrence Meril, a co-founder of the firm, brings many years of diversified public accounting expertise to the firm including Big 4, national, and local firm experience. He is the firm’s director of audit and accounting and heads the firm’s SEC public company audit practice. He also is a firm leader in accounting and financial reporting outsourcing for publicly held and privately held companies.
Lawrence has a broad industry background that includes private equity funds, life sciences and biotech, publishing, chemical manufacturing, wholesale distribution, retail, professional services, restaurants, software development, internet technology, research and development, airlines, real estate, broadcast and cable television, and the independent film industry.
- Managed the audits of Fortune 500 companies such as Mobil Oil, McGraw-Hill, Warner Amex Cable, and American Standard
- Involved in IPOs for emerging companies, reverse mergers, Form 10 going public transactions
- Accounting for PIPES, intricate financing arrangements such as convertible debt and preferred stock and related derivative components
- Research specialist in complex accounting areas with proficiency in applying U.S. GAAP and GAAS standards, SEC and PCAOB rules
- In charge of audit, tax, and due diligence engagements for private equity funds
- Performed acquisition reviews of target companies in the mortgage banking, hotel, cable TV, financial services, and other industries
- Expert witness in Federal District Court concerning generally accepted accounting principles
- Supervised the audits of the largest independent franchisee of fast food restaurants in the New York metropolitan area
- Advisor to entrepreneurial NYC restaurant groups
- Entertainment and media experience across broadcast tv, cable tv, and independent film production
- Involved in real estate and collateralized mortgage due diligence engagements for major financial institutions
A certified public accountant, Lawrence is an active member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the New Jersey, New York, and Florida Societies of CPAs. Lawrence is currently a member of the Private Equity and Venture Capital committee of the New York State Society of CPAs and has previously served on the Real Estate, Construction Contractors, Hotel, Club and Restaurant, and the SEC Practice Assistance committees. He is also a member of the Construction Financial Management Association, and the New York Restaurant Association, and a previous member of the Independent Filmmaker Project, The Film Independent Organization and the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners.
Larry holds a B.S. degree in Accounting from Syracuse University. He was recognized by the Syracuse University Lubin School of Accounting as one of a select group of alumni that have founded successful regional accounting firms. Prior to co-founding RotenbergMeril, Larry was a senior audit manager with Big 4 accounting firm Ernst & Young (“EY”) and their predecessor firms Kenneth Leventhal & Company, the preeminent national real estate accounting firm, and the international accounting firm of Arthur Young & Company.